Re: Diff Question

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 12:14:22 EDT

Craig Rash wrote:
> Hello everyone, I am considering upgrading the rear differential on my one
> wheeled wonder. Does anyone have a good recommendation for me? I need this
> because I occasionally go off road(fishing, cutting wood, etc.) and if it
> gets the slightest bit muddy I run into problems.

A limited slip would work well for you probably. A good set of all
terrain tires would help as well for traction in the rear. Lesson from
tractor trailors. They use a more agressive tread on the rear axles
(drive wheels) for better traction - and low rolling resistance tires up
front (steerables)

> Also wet road traction isn't that great.
> Other than buying a 4x4(obviously the best option) what
> should I do. I am specifically looking for a rear diff kit. I guess a
> Limited Slip Differential?? TIA

Keep in mind the handling characteristics of a vehicle with a locker or
limited slip are different from those who have open diff. My Ram 4x4
has limited slip and it took me a little while to learn how to drive
with that. On wet roads and low traction situations, a limited slip or
locker can give the rear end a tendency to spin out - causing control
issues. Especially on snow, ice, or slick blacktop. I would like to
eventually convert over to selectable lockers. Best of both worlds but
not so cheap.

A junk yard limited slip might be something to consider. Lower cost,
good avaliblity - A LSD combined with good tires should be fine for what
you do with your truck.

***** Countdown to 2004 DML BBQ (34) Days Left! *****

Terrible Tom -- AIM & Yahoo Name: SilverEightynine http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/