LA block recommendations

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 00:47:49 EDT

So I've got a seemingly completely reliable 200,000 mile 1984 LA 360,
but it's tired and underpowered.... Uses about two quarts of oil
between changes. Judging from wet spots, a lot of that is valve cover
leakage, but it may also be wanting front/rear main seals since the
bottom is all wet, though I suppose that could be pan gasket too.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll just change those gaskets, do a water
pump, and wait 'till it blows up. Hmm.... Anyway, I'll continue as
I'd intended...

I'm thinking once I get garage space, rebuilding that engine will
probably be my second big project. I'm looking for thoughts to file
away, so here's my current list:

magnum heads, replacement intake manifold
- are they worth it? looks like people writing to allpar have gotten
good results with just swapping intakes (Edelbrock Performers seem to
have good ink), and then I would have fewer new parts, which is $good$.

double roller timing set, new waterpump, oilpump, other various wear
parts. Who knows how worn things that shouldn't be could be after 200k
- valves, seats, lifters, pushrods, cam, rockers, ???

depending on cam condition, either 1.7 rockers or a new set of
everything with a torquey cam (big lift and short duration, like a )

maybe high compression pistons - it'll be running propane which is
about 110 octane equivalent - but I don't really want to have to beef
up the bottom end....

JBA shorties going over the frame to the outside, cats and flowmasters
for backpressure, dump just in front of the rear wheels, and stay
tucked above rock sliders.

What would be on your list? Would you bother putting money into a 20
year old block not noted for anything but a stupid external balancer?
Maybe I'd be better off feeding it new gaskets and loosing the carb and
leaving it at that.

heh - research a post and get my ideas changed on me. stupid
information always clogging my mind ;-)

oh - and those of you coming to the BBQ - which truck would you rather
see? I'm planning on the Dakota just 'cause it's got FAR better
offroad rubber.....

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
84 RamCharger 4x4 360                   98 Dakota CC 4x4 318