Re: LA block recommendations

From: Barry (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 11:39:13 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> So I've got a seemingly completely reliable 200,000 mile 1984 LA 360,
> but it's tired and underpowered.... Uses about two quarts of oil
> between changes. Judging from wet spots, a lot of that is valve cover
> leakage, but it may also be wanting front/rear main seals since the
> bottom is all wet, though I suppose that could be pan gasket too.
>
> Come to think of it, maybe I'll just change those gaskets, do a water
> pump, and wait 'till it blows up. Hmm.... Anyway, I'll continue as I'd
> intended...
>
> I'm thinking once I get garage space, rebuilding that engine will
> probably be my second big project. I'm looking for thoughts to file
> away, so here's my current list:
>

> magnum heads, replacement intake manifold
> - are they worth it? looks like people writing to allpar have gotten
> good results with just swapping intakes (Edelbrock Performers seem to
> have good ink), and then I would have fewer new parts, which is $good$.
>
> double roller timing set, new waterpump, oilpump, other various wear
> parts. Who knows how worn things that shouldn't be could be after 200k
> - valves, seats, lifters, pushrods, cam, rockers, ???
>
> depending on cam condition, either 1.7 rockers or a new set of
> everything with a torquey cam (big lift and short duration, like a )
>
> maybe high compression pistons - it'll be running propane which is about
> 110 octane equivalent - but I don't really want to have to beef up the
> bottom end....
>
> JBA shorties going over the frame to the outside, cats and flowmasters
> for backpressure, dump just in front of the rear wheels, and stay tucked
> above rock sliders.
>

> What would be on your list? Would you bother putting money into a 20
> year old block not noted for anything but a stupid external balancer?
> Maybe I'd be better off feeding it new gaskets and loosing the carb and
> leaving it at that.
>
> heh - research a post and get my ideas changed on me. stupid
> information always clogging my mind ;-)
>

> oh - and those of you coming to the BBQ - which truck would you rather
> see? I'm planning on the Dakota just 'cause it's got FAR better offroad
> rubber.....
> --
> Mike Maskalans <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
> 84 RamCharger 4x4 360 98 Dakota CC 4x4 318
> mobile.612.618.4652 home.585.935.7129 fax.360.364.3930

I would say that by the time you get it all togeather right, for a couple
of dollars more you coulda had a crate motor. Seriously, I would make it a
100% economic decision. If you can afford the crate motor, then donate the
360 to Tom for christine, and go for it. Having rebuilt 3 LA 360's in my
time, [including one twice] I have had zero luck with that being the "cheap
way to go. Either go with a crate motor or just patch togeather what you
have as required... YMMV.

--
          -Barry

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think" -fortune cookie

DML: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Rb@6EE4xQAF2k/ Superhawk: http://barrysuperhawk.home.insightbb.com