Re: need help diagnosing a problem

From: Tony Cellana (acellan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 17:03:54 EDT

OSSS Output Shaft Speed Sensor. Located on the tailshaft of the tranny
(drvr side). About $28-35 new over the dealer counter.

You can try cleaning the one in there first. It has a magnetic end and
tends to attract debris. Its about a 5-10 minute job.

Jack the REAR of the truck up so the fluid goes forward in the tranny, and
not in you face when removing it ;-)
Undo plug, using a med/lrg adjustable, loosen and remove. Clean the end
with a rag, replace. Hand tighten, then just snug with the wrench. Reset
the PCM (disconnect the battery, turn ignition key to on).

If the lights come back, buy a new sensor.

Olznut's diagnosis is the usual first guess, but when the RWSS goes, the
speedo acts funny at low mph, and the shift points are usually normal.

TonyC