Re: New 'Poster' and Truck

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 18:28:15 EDT

Welcome to the list Andrew,

> I just got a 93 v-6 Dakota for a very good price ($1.).

Yep, that sounds like a good price to me. There must be an interesting
story behind that one...

> I have read time and again
> about the Chrysler mini-van transmissions, a friend replaced 7 of them
> under warranty. I now wonder if I too, am destined to have transmission
> problems, if I keep my Dakota.

Others will know more about the transmission than I do. I've never heard
of these kind of problems with Dakota transmissions. I'm assuming that
the minivan uses a completely different design if it really has that much
trouble.

> I am speculating on whether towing a
> small horse trailer(under 4 thousand lbs total) 4-5 times a year, an
> hour or two in distance, is a good idea or just plain dumb, with this
> truck.

I would suggest to check your final axle gear ratio, I think that will be
the biggest variable based on what you have already told us. There should
be a sticker in your glove box, or if not there might be a small metal tab
attached to one of the bolts on your rear differential. You probably have
either 3.5 or 3.9:1. There are many here (myself included) who can look
up the specs on tow ratings to verify. Tow rating depends on largely on
engine and axle ratio, and to a lesser extent on transmission, drivetrain
(is it 2wd or 4x4), and body style (regular cab, club cab, long bed).

Short answer, if you have the 3.9 axle, go right ahead. If you have the
3.5, ask someone to look it up to be sure. My '95 4x4 regular cab short
bed with a V6, 3.9 axle and 5-speed transmission is rated to 5100 lbs.

I'm no expert, but I have done a lot of research on towing. I'm not sure
if you know all about it, or if you're new to the idea, so I won't bore
you with much more nonsense yet :-).

Hope you enjoy your truck! (Still curious to know the story behind the
price...)