foiled/ success day!

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 20:40:05 EDT

after I found out that I didn't get the job (sigh...) I decided to take
out my aggressions on the broken bolt, rain or shine.

I didn't get rained on too much, and I only broke like 10 tools in the
process, but I have some mediocre threads in there that seem to hold
the bolt. I'll find out if I'm buying a helocoil kit after I get my
shocks back, and see if I rip them out by tightening it....

Tool Tally:

rounded off the square nut on a Craftsman broken bolt removal tool, and
later found that the cutting bit was snapped off too.

broke a Harbor Freight wrench on that nut.

damaged a Craftsman wrench on that nut - rounded out the inside of the
open end.

shattered a second different Craftsman broken bolt tool, leaving a
hardened steel plug in my drilled out bolt.

_completely_ decimated two punches pushing that broken tool out the
back of the bolt after cutting the exposed threads off with a Dremel.
one was a Craftsman, it now looks more like a drift than a punch with a
completely flat nose, and it's formerly chamfered striking surface is
no longer chamfered. The other was home-made in my 9th grade metal
shop class. it's mushroomed horribly, with a flat tip, and is also
actually starting to *bend*.

I already swapped out the Craftsman wrench, but my camera seems to be
working again, so I'll probably take a pic or two of the damage for
posterity's sake/ your entertainment

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
84 RamCharger 4x4 360                   98 Dakota CC 4x4 318