Re: LA block recommendations

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 10:37:01 EDT

<david.clement@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I don't think I agree. You can easily build a 300+ hp 360 for apprx. 1/2
the
> cost of a crate motor assuming you are starting with a worn but sound
motor.

> Gasket and bearing set $180
> Performance cast flat top pistons $200
> Cam/Lifters/Springs $225
> Roller Timing set $ 40
> Performance dual plan manifold $225
>
> Machining $1000
> Total $1870
>
> I didn't include a carb or headers because those need to be purchased in
either
> case. Also, you could knock couple of hundred off your parts cost if you
didn't
> need a manifold or picked up one at the swap meet. IMHO, if you don't want
> deal with a machine shop the way to go is purcahse an MP short block in
your
> choice of compresion ratios for $1200 and get a set of reconditioned heads
from
> Aero Head for $400.

That looks like a pretty decent breakdown, but you're forgetting all the
goodies. This would work if you just wanted to build a stock type 360. If
I'm gonna build one, I'm going to be going for more than stock-ish.

I'm going to need new pushrods and some nice roller rockers as well, and
I'll be choosing the M1 intake, which is more than $225.

Either way, you're going to be able to get one put together for under $3k
though.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L