Re: LA block recommendations

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 10:08:49 EDT

In article <40D1BB21.1050501@insightbb.com>, barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com
(Barry) writes:
> I would say that by the time you get it all togeather right, for a couple
> of dollars more you coulda had a crate motor. Seriously, I would make it a
> 100% economic decision. If you can afford the crate motor, then donate the
> 360 to Tom for christine, and go for it. Having rebuilt 3 LA 360's in my
> time, [including one twice] I have had zero luck with that being the "cheap
> way to go. Either go with a crate motor or just patch togeather what you
> have as required... YMMV.

I don't think I agree. You can easily build a 300+ hp 360 for apprx. 1/2 the
cost of a crate motor assuming you are starting with a worn but sound motor.

Gasket and bearing set $180
Performance cast flat top pistons $200
Cam/Lifters/Springs $225
Roller Timing set $ 40
Performance dual plan manifold $225

Machining $1000
                           Total $1870

I didn't include a carb or headers because those need to be purchased in either
case. Also, you could knock couple of hundred off your parts cost if you didn't
need a manifold or picked up one at the swap meet. IMHO, if you don't want to
deal with a machine shop the way to go is purcahse an MP short block in your
choice of compresion ratios for $1200 and get a set of reconditioned heads from
Aero Head for $400.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4