Re: New 'Poster' and Truck No.2

From: Jon (jonsdak@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 16:20:45 EDT

Hello Andrew,

The 3.9L is a solid motor. I've had one for almost three years now and all
I've replaced is the water pump, the radiator, and the battery.

One thing I've noticed about probably every 3.9 I've ever heard run, is that
they all tick. They exhibit a noise that is reminiscent of rocker/lifter
noise, but it's not. It's fairly constant (at least in my truck), occurring
on about fourth cylinder-fire. I've yet to have any issues regarding this
noise, and nothing I've done has made it better. So, after hearing other
engines make the same noise, I've simply accepted it.

One word of caution regarding this is that a noise similar to what I've
described can be attributed to a loose or worn timing chain, which is weak
on these motors. So, I recommend checking that first if yours starts to
tick. If it's not that, I don't think I'd worry about it.

Welcome to the DML

-Jon