Re: Re: New 'Poster' and Truck No.2

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 17:00:24 EDT

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:20:45 -0400, Jon <jonsdak@adelphia.net> wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> The 3.9L is a solid motor. I've had one for almost three years now and
> all
> I've replaced is the water pump, the radiator, and the battery.
>
> One thing I've noticed about probably every 3.9 I've ever heard run, is
> that
> they all tick. They exhibit a noise that is reminiscent of rocker/lifter
> noise, but it's not. It's fairly constant (at least in my truck),
> occurring
> on about fourth cylinder-fire. I've yet to have any issues regarding
> this
> noise, and nothing I've done has made it better. So, after hearing other
> engines make the same noise, I've simply accepted it.
>
> One word of caution regarding this is that a noise similar to what I've
> described can be attributed to a loose or worn timing chain, which is
> weak
> on these motors. So, I recommend checking that first if yours starts to
> tick. If it's not that, I don't think I'd worry about it.

I had my 3.9 from 34,000 miles to 105,000 miles. Mine ticked the entire
time I had it. Never had any serious problems with the engine. Replaced the
water pump around 90,000 which is to be expected. I even did some "messing"
around with the engine. Drove it on the hard side. I upgraded to the 4.7
with my new truck because it got the same mpg as the 3.9. Otherwise I would
have gotten the 3.9 again.

--
-Droo

http://www.grandroyal.org/dakota