Re: 4.7L tapping @ start up

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 00:21:55 EDT

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:05:19 -0400, mopar@ehuffy.com (Eric Huff)
wrote:

>> Check the exhaust manifolds first...there's a TSB out there on
>> them leaking or breaking the bolts and it sounds just like a
>> lifter tap.
>
>Do you happen to know the tsb #? I looked around but didn't find
>it...
>
>Thanks,
>eric

I have always had kind of a ticking noise. It was really annoying
when I first got my truck -- there was a TSB that fixed the worst of
it that involved stripping back a ground wire or something silly like
that.

Since then, though, there's always been a slight ticking noise that I
can only really hear from inside the cab when the truck is cold. It's
just barely audible once it warms up. I had the dealer look at it
before my warranty expired ... they thorougly checked the manifolds
(presumably because of that TSB) and turned up nothing. The
conclusion was that the noise was just fuel injectors. I've often
wondered if the noise would go away if I shelled out the cash to have
the injectors replaced, but I don't really care enough to want to
spend that much money :-)

-Bill