Re: Better winter tire....

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 11:24:36 EDT

Hey, Bill,

<snip> I always thought going to a narrower tire made ice/snow handling
worse,
 that the wider the tire, as in sand, the better off you were...<snip>

Not so. Having driven in the NorthEastern US winters pretty much my entire
driving career, the wider treads do 2 things...
#1. They effectively make your vehicle lighter by distributing vehicular
weight over a larger surface, thereby decreasing the pounds per square inch
of road traction...
&:
#2. In snow, they tend to "snowplow" because of the width & #1...
When I drove a van in the winter, I always switched to narrower treads
during the winter months & put the big boys back on for the summer look...

Now, I DO have 11.50" wide tires on the DAKSY, & she feels a tad skittery ON
the snow, but with 4X4 engaged, & with a manual tranny, she goes right
along...
As for stopping? Fortunately, I haven't had to test her because I maintain a
minimum of about 5 carlengths on the open road in sloppy weather..that way I
can react to either side if I have to...

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY
2K DAK SY CC Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed

WebPage URL: http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/