Re: Heater Core

From: d.schultz@sympatico.ca
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 18:27:13 EDT

Hi:
I just recently had to replace my evaporator core in my '98 CC which is in the
heating/cooling unit where the heater core is. The unit comes out in one piece
so yes you need to discharge the A/C first.

When I did my evap core it took me a day (if you subtract the cleaning and
removal of unnessaccary items) to remove and reinstall everything.

Basically you start by disconnecting the battery to power down the airbag
system. Remove the steering column (no need to remove the steering wheel
though) by undoing the multiswitch connectors and other light and shifter
connections. Then onto the dash. Disconnect the connections from the fuse
box, the firewall connectors above the drivers left foot, the e-brake release.
Then onto the centre section. Remove the centre dash support and the anti-lock
break connector. Over on the right you have the antenna connection, the power
amp wires etc. With all the electrical that you can reach disconnected, loosen
the two bolts on each side of the dash (bottom) going into the kick plates.
Then remove the five bolts in the top of the dash at the bottom of the
windshield. Then pull the bottom of the dash out a few inches into the end of
the brackets. This allows you to pull the dash out toward the seats to get at
the other connections not reachable from underneath. Once all the connections
are undone then pull the whole dash out as a unit.

For the heating/cooling box you need to discharge the A/C, drain the cooling
system (if not already done ;-) ) and disconnect the A/C lines and heater core
hoses. You'll need a special tool for the A/C lines which is a few bucks at an
auto store. There are four nuts to remove in the engine compartment and one in
the cab that allows the heating/cooling unit to be removed. Once you have it
out the rest is easy. Reverse the steps to reinstall.

For me, it took 2 days as I cleaned all the dust and crap from in the truck as
I went. It's amazing how dirty things get after 270,000km. Plus it was easy to
shampoo the carpets with the inside empty of everything.

Dale