Re: The dakota's pinging

From: Eric Huff (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 23:24:08 EDT

> | Under warranty, i just had the intake gasket changed (it was
> using| oil) and "while they were in there" i had them do the spark
> plugs,| wires, and the pinging tsb.
>
> You mean the PCM reprogram?

Nope, it was the rerouting the coil wire tsb:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98.htm

> | Of course, the plugs are back to stock now, so i suppose i will
> | switch to a cooler plug. Does everyone agree that the autolites
> are| better than champion? I put Autolite AP3923 in at 30k, and
> they| helped a little, but i still couldn't use regular gas. AT
> that| time, i wasn't using oil, so i don't *think* the gasket was
> bad...

> You're wasting money on the platinums. The plain old copper 3923s
> work great. Better than the platinums in your engine, actually

Oops, that was a typo (or a cut-n-paste-o). They were plain old
3923's.

> | Now that i look at the TSB, they didn't do it correctly. The
> wires| did still look too close to me... I'll go fix that, too...
>
> How many miles on the wires? If they're old, good time to replace
> them with some good, fat aftermarket wires.

Now they're brand new mopar wires. Had them changed "while it was
in there" but i'll never do that again. The cost of those stupid
little maintenance items add up fast at a dealer.

> | Also, i see that some people put in a 180 deg thermostat.
> Doesn't| this cause more wear? Or do the 3.9L cylinder walls get
> a lot| hotter than the water, so a cooler thermostat just brings
> it back to| "proper."
>
> I've not heard of any wear issues w/ the 180. I expect you'll be
> fine.

Ok. I'll add that to my to-do list.

thanks for the info, folks.

eric