Re: 92 A500 gives up...

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 09:26:17 EDT

""Zachary Burcham"" <roadking_dakota@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a 1992 Dakota 3.9 with the A500 Auto. It's got 165K+ on it and I
> think it's finally given up. Been doing "OK" for the last year or year
and
> a half but it was accumulating and ever increasing number of mannerisms.
> Monday morning I went to drive from the GF's to my house and it never
> shifted into OD the whole time, 6 minutes at 2600 RPM down a state highway
> and never did it shift. It also began to kill the truck at stops as I
> drove it a bit farther. Talked to a tranny guy and he said it might be a
> sensor but with 170K on it, it's not likely. Any suggestions on what I
> should do would be appreciated, I'm wanting to go with a new tranny, as
> rebuilds tend to suck and kick it after a year and cost about the same.
>
> Zach Burcham
> 92dakotahd

Well, if you're looking to just replace the transmission, check out APS
Precision, Roadmaster, or any of the other companies out there that do
transmissions. If you're willing to pay shipping.

I've never really had bad luck with rebuilding a transmission, if you do the
build right, it can be better than the one that it replaces. I'm having
mine rebuilt right now actually (it sucks having to get rides everywhere)
and they're doing up my 42RE right this time.

Anyway, if you decide to get it done, take it to a reputable shop and you'll
be fine. I've always thought that checking with your local car clubs is the
best way to find good shops in your area, so you might try that avenue
first. You never know there may be a killer trans shop in your area
already.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L