Re: Webcam?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 04:52:44 EDT

On Jul 7, 2004, at 0:37, Bill Pitz wrote:

> I'm still waiting for in-cab wireless cameras and maps with gps
> coordinates of all of the vehicles. :-)

that'd be easy if there was decent wireless coverage out there.

plug my GPS into my laptop and show tracking, have a live view of my
camcorder up as well, and then serve my desktop via Ambrosia's
SnapzProX and a cell phone with a 3G wireless broadband connection.
But as I recall, getting more than a bar or two of digital cell signal
in the barn is tough enough, and I'm sure there's nothing at all down
in the stream.

As for a live map with all vehicles... let me think about that for a
second....

if everyone had a GPS that could send a NIMA data stream to a central
server (there would have to be a computer local to the antenna parsing
and pushing), along with an ID tag, it would be simple enough to parse
that data onto a graphic of the property. I think you could even do it
with nothing other than PHP using GD, so it would just query the NIMA
database and create/update the graphic as the page was loaded. That
would actually be pretty damn easy.

And then if you've got a central server going already, and a networked
computer in each of the trucks already, just add a camera, and push
images up to the server along with those coordinates.

Then you could also make sure everyone's digital cameras' clocks are
synched, and you could then run through after the fact and location-tag
all photos based on where the truck of the owner was when the pic was
taken, and I see some very cool interface browsing possibilities for
the photos there. They could be looked at geographically as well as

I suppose it could also be set up to be not-so-live, and do a data dump
when the computer came in-range of a network, too. I can just see the
bandwidth use spiking as trucks drive back up to the barn after an
afternoon out and a few hours of local logging is dumped to the
server....

Now why is it again that I'm unemployed? who could I sell this setup
to, I wonder?

--
Michael Maskalans         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 318               '84 RamCharger 4x4 360