Re: Webcam?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 16:02:50 EDT

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 04:54:29 -0400, dml@tepidcola.com (Michael
Maskalans) wrote:
>On Jul 7, 2004, at 0:37, Bill Pitz wrote:
>
>> I'm still waiting for in-cab wireless cameras and maps with gps
>> coordinates of all of the vehicles. :-)
>
>that'd be easy if there was decent wireless coverage out there.
>
>plug my GPS into my laptop and show tracking, have a live view of my
>camcorder up as well, and then serve my desktop via Ambrosia's
>SnapzProX and a cell phone with a 3G wireless broadband connection.
>But as I recall, getting more than a bar or two of digital cell signal
>in the barn is tough enough, and I'm sure there's nothing at all down
>in the stream.

That problem could be solved pretty easily. I probably have enough
wireless gear sitting around the office to make that work. With
enough creativity (and amplifiers.. hehehe) you could set up a series
of 802.11 relays that would at least suffice to bring 1mbit
connectivity wherever you were. Given that it wouldn't have to be a
permanent setup, you could run the individual relays on batteries.

You could also mount a fairly high gain antenna in one of the
vehicles, get that linked up, and then provide access to all of the
other vehicles through that.

Yeah, it isn't exactly kosher with the FCC regs to pump a couple of
watts out in the unlicensed 2.4ghz band, but it would probably do the
trick..