Re: Tires and wheels?

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 23:39:07 EDT

On 7/7/2004 7:57 PM, Traci Pearson wrote:

| Hi all,
| Just joined this list and am hoping you can help me make a touch
| decision on tires and wheels for my '97 Dakota V8 4x4. I don't drive the
| truck that much (have a car that gets twice the gas mileage), but I do
| use it to go to out-of-town races, either just me and some equipment, or
| fairly heavily loaded towing about 2000 lbs. I also do some light
| 4-wheeling; don't like to tear up the landscape, but I've had to use my
| sidewalls to climb rocks every now and then.

Welcome! Hope you'll stick around a while.

| I need new tires. I'm actually quite happy with my tread, the Pirelli
| Scorpion AT. I have 31x10.05x15's on there now.
|
| I seem to have two options. I could go with what I have now. Or, I could
| get 17" rims and get 245/65R17's.

For your usage, I think you'd be best off sticking with your current
tire size (or go up to 32x11.5 like Bob suggested) and rims and getting
BFG A/T KOs. They have an extra ply on the sidewall which helps them
take more punishment offroad, and will really help out when you're
hauling those 2000 pounds around. They are a stiffer, but much
stronger, tire than most of what's out there in the same size.

Deuler Revos are getting good reviews too - haven't checked on the
sidewall tho.

| My primary concern is handling and safety. If something happens in front
| of me when I'm towing (or even when I'm not), I'm not sure I will get
| great (even decent) handling out of those 31x10.05x15's. I've also been
| running high pressure in those tires (better gas mileage!), but the
| dome-ing had increases the tire wear (duh).

I had no complaints about the handling of my BFG A/T KOs. They were far
better than the factory Goodlucks. The stiffer sidewall was nice, and
when the snow flew (you're in Colorado based on your area code, you know
snow as well as I do here in the NY snowbelt) they were outstanding. I
wasn't doing any racing on the tires, but they held on just fine
navigating stupid people in traffic.

- --
- -andy

        -Bob Tom