Re: Re: Drove 2900 km in 27 hours (long..)

From: Jon (jonsdak@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 07:21:12 EDT

Hey Bob,

Your last line reminds me of an incident in my own experience. I remember
my dad borrowing my first car to get into work when his broke down. My car
actually broke down when he was eight miles from work, (which could have
been avoided if he hadn't been stubborn enough to leave the house with the
battery light on). So, he calls at 5:30 in the morning, tells me he's broke
down, and wants to know if "there's any trick to getting the key out of the
ignition?"

I said, no, the car doesn't even have an idiot button... and by this time
I'm really curious.

Anyway, to make a long story short, he'd left the car in Drive, and the
ignition wouldn't lock with the car in gear. I didn't let him live that
down for a while :)

To be fair though, at that point he'd been driving (almost exclusively) a
car with a manual transmission for five years or so, and as we know, manuals
don't care where the stick is when you shut the key off. (You might roll
down a hill, but it still won't stop you from pulling the key out :) )
""DAKSY"" <rsmith13@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

> Hey, Mr. Plow
>
> <snip> You may now call me the King of the Road Trip!!!<snip>
>
> Prince, maybe...
>
> <snip> I think 2900 km's is around 1900 miles...<snip>
>
> Yep, But I did 2941 MILES...back in '76... XC SF to Troy NY in 57 hours
> (also alone)!
> So I lay claim to your title!
>
> <snip> Oh, i wouldn't advise anyone else doing this on their own, or in
one
> shot
> like i did. Started seeing weird images in the clouds towards the end of
> the trip.... hehehe<snip>
>
> Oh yeah...drank 17 cups of black coffee...drove thru most of Ohio with my
> head out the window (in a drizzle) to keep awake...
> Hit Amsterdam NY about hour 56, maybe 11PM...started raining like HELL!
Talk
> about hallucinations! Wipers ineffective...I thinksome of the chemicals I
> had sampled in the late 60s early 70s were flashing back...totally lost
> it...
> I tried to concentrate on the taillights on the car in front of me...BAD
> MOVE...the taillights turned
> into eyes & the road between us became a long flowing gown...I guess I
> slowed down to about 30mph
> (ON the NYS Thruway!) & somehow ended up in the left lane looking down at
> the yellow line in order to stay on the road & avoid the
hallucinating...no