Re: Drove 2900 km in 27 hours (long..)

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 19:04:12 EDT

Hey, Mr. Plow

<snip> You may now call me the King of the Road Trip!!!<snip>

Prince, maybe...

<snip> I think 2900 km's is around 1900 miles...<snip>

Yep, But I did 2941 MILES...back in '76... XC SF to Troy NY in 57 hours
(also alone)!
So I lay claim to your title!

<snip> Oh, i wouldn't advise anyone else doing this on their own, or in one
shot
like i did. Started seeing weird images in the clouds towards the end of
 the trip.... hehehe<snip>

Oh yeah...drank 17 cups of black coffee...drove thru most of Ohio with my
head out the window (in a drizzle) to keep awake...
Hit Amsterdam NY about hour 56, maybe 11PM...started raining like HELL! Talk
about hallucinations! Wipers ineffective...I thinksome of the chemicals I
had sampled in the late 60s early 70s were flashing back...totally lost
it...
I tried to concentrate on the taillights on the car in front of me...BAD
MOVE...the taillights turned
into eyes & the road between us became a long flowing gown...I guess I
slowed down to about 30mph
(ON the NYS Thruway!) & somehow ended up in the left lane looking down at
the yellow line in order to stay on the road & avoid the hallucinating...no
idea for how long, but an 18-wheeler came up behind me & blasted his
airhorns...
& blasted me back to reality! Drove the remainder (30 +/- miles) without
incident...until I was about 2 miles from home at about 2AM...came around a
bend & hit a BIG puddle left from the torrential rain & the car (73 Vega -
so I use the term "car" VERY loosely) died...tried to start it & nothing, no
crank - no solenoid click - nothing... Sh*t...so, I called my Dad & he
came down from the houseasked what happened I told him that it died....Well
to show I was still totally stressed from the drive, my Dad got in the car,
put it in PARK (doh!) & it started right up! Sheesh...did I feel small...

All done!

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY
2K DAK SY CC Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed