Re: Webcam?

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 23:41:25 EDT

Actually if you built a omni form one of the websites that specialize
in outdoor wireless antennas and got an amplifier you should have a
range of about 15 to 20 miles. Without the amplifier but a proper setup
((hight around 20') you will se in the range of 5 miles. The trees are
somewhat of a limiting factor but the leaves themselves pose no
problem. Actually the trees aren't really that big of a problem either,
it's hills and valleys that can cause problems. You could also do the
same with a parabolic mesh antenna if you want the signal in a specific
direction. It will spread out in a V side to side but be totally blind
on the reverse side of it.

A year ago I didn't know jack now since my company was setting these up
in our Brasil operation for clients I am learning quite a bit. The
amazing thing the antennas are not that expensive. A good Parabolic
will run around $45 - $65 not including cable and a good Omni will run
about double. The amplifier is supposed to only be sold to goverment
approved but they are not that hard to get. As long as you are not
trying to blast someone's network or are monitoring it they will never
bother you. Being rural is even a better choice here. remember you
don;t really need the amp unless you need a better signal.

Just remember you need an antenna, mast, box, electronics, and run
power up to it. Most of that comes in affordable kits.
Jeff Durling