Re: Webcam?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 19:33:08 EDT

On Jul 8, 2004, at 13:01, Bill Pitz wrote:

> Well, maybe some day I'll make it out there for the bbq and we could
> give it a go. I think it'd be a way cool project. One of the kinds
> that I often read about on the web and think "Wow, that's pretty damn
> cool!" :-)

*exactly* <g>

>> As long as we're spending theoretical money we don't have, I like the
>> idea
>> of putting the repeaters up on weather balloons to increase their
>> range
>> :-).
>
> You know, as crazy of an idea as that may sound, it could actually
> work. Since it's only short term. Why not just anchor the balloon to
> the ground and run the power for the repeater up that line? (Or just
> use an extension cord to hold it down... heh)

could work - but only if you can get enough gain on an omni to be
useful from the air.... I haven't played with the range possibilities
of boosted 802.11 omnidirectionals before.

If you could get it to go a quarter mile, one would be enough (barn <->
balloon at 200' or so <-> line-of-sight anywhere on the property,
except for next to the cliffs in the creek, and if every truck is also
a repeater, that dark spot would probably mend)

a bigass balloon just made this so much easier =)

if you can't get the required range, something else that might work
would be to have two balloon stations roughly lined up, so both could
be hit with a uni from the base station - that way it wouldn't matter
if they could talk to one another....

all right, I'm thinking about this too hard for something I'm not going
to implement. yet.

--
Michael Maskalans         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 318               '84 RamCharger 4x4 360