Re: stuck wheel

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 20:56:16 EDT

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:28:09 -0400, Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:

> If you had a steel wheel stuck to a hub, what would you do?
>
> and when that didn't work, what would you do?
>
> and if *that* didn't work, what then?
>
> anything else you'd try?
>
> FYI, it's on a solid front axle on my Ram, and I have no idea if it's
> sticking to the disc or to the hub.
> --
> Michael Maskalans <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>

My usual first step is to take all the lugs off, make sure the vehicle
is very well supported then "mule kick" the tire in a criss-cross
pattern. Kick the left side, then the right, the bottom, then the top
and repeat. Usually this will break them free. Oh yeah, it helps if
you just get that tire off the ground and leave the other side on the
ground so the steering won't soak up all the kicking and let the
wheels turn. If that doesn't work, I would hose everything down with
penetrating oil like WD-40, PB Blaster (my prefered pen oil) or
3-in-1. Let it set for an hour or so and try the kicking again. If
that doesn't work, an over night soak in the same oil and it should
pop loose the next day. Only once have I had a wheel that still would
not let loose. If I remember correctly (this was on an el' cheapo
steel wheel I was going to repaint anyway when I got it off) I got a
torch, set it to a sooty flame and heated the backside of the hub up a
bit. I didn't get it glowing red by any means, but I got it warm
enough I could melt wax. I then took a long candle and shoved it down
the side of the wheel studs. This let the wax melt and work its way
behind the wheel. Took a few times of doing this and all of a sudden
the wheel just make a "pink!!" and slid right off with no force. But,
this ruined the paint on the wheel (I bet this would ruin the clear
finish on an aluminum wheel), but I was going to repaint them anyway
so it didn't matter to me. HTH

Will