Re: Attn: Ham operators, RFI / EFI filters

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 10:43:46 EDT

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:03:41 -0400, Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com ("Walt
Felix") wrote:
>Got a question from a guy at work I want to pass to the list. He has a 2000
>Dakota Quad Cab with a Mobile Ham unit and gets an unacceptable level of
>interference. He asked if I knew of any decent RFI filters. Since I don't
>know much about Ham setups, I told him I would pass it to the list. I told
>him I recall reading a TSB some time back that had recommend positive and
>grounding points specified. I also recall something about interference from
>the fuel pump but he didn't think that was the issue because it appears the
>interference changes with engine speed.

Where's he getting the power for that unit? I seem to recall a few
years ago reading that the cigarette lighter/"accessory port" were not
good places to connect two-way radios because of the electrical noise
that is passed through them.

I've got a cheap Uniden CB that I sometimes have in the truck (connect
it to the cig. lighter) and never have any noise problems to speak of,
though, so I don't know how much truth there is to that.

-Bill