New guy

From: werlax@hotmail.com
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 10:57:57 EDT

Hey all,
I just thought I'd get my first post out of the way. I've had my '97 Dakota
5.2L 4x4 (extended cab) since I bought it new at the end of '96. I love the
truck and really haven't had any problems with it. The CD player has
stopped working, which I'll be replacing soon, but other than that it's
been great. I was able to get 70K on the original tires and, now that I'm
nearing 100K, I'm finding some things need to be replaced. Granted, I've
been in a few accidents so things have been replaced along with body
repair... ;)
I had the truck into the shop because of a A/C clutch that was making noise
and they found a few other things that they suggested I replace. Shocks,
ball joints, leaking axle seal, brakes. Fun things like that. I decided
that since I've been wanting to make some modifications to my truck and I
like working on cars, I'd save the labor costs myself. I just made some
purchases online and the parts have been arriving (with more to come). The
only thing that I haven't been able to figure out is a steering problem I've
been having. I don't have slop in the steering, but it's *very* easy to
turn the wheel with just the ignition on. I can merely give the steering
wheel a push and it will spin from full lock-to-lock. The shop suggested it
might be the gearbox, and it could be a safety issue. It's been in the back
of my mind, but I'm not crazy about spending $500 for them to just *see*.
I'm sure I'll have more questions now that I'm starting to think about
changes, so here's hoping I don't get too annoying. ;)
I live in Wisconsin, Waukesha County area for those that keep track of these
types of things.
Thanks!
Mark