Dead Dak - pt. 3

From: Stephen Cecil (scecil@npc.net)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 09:25:52 EDT

Short recap: Engine dies on the way home last week. Won't restart or even turn
over very well. Engine ground strap insulation melts while trying to start.

All grounds were cleaned and re-tightened. I pulled the starter and tested it
according to the FSM instructions(no problems there). I replaced the cable from
the battery to the starter and the clamp to the battery post. The engine would
still barely turn over (as in 3 RPM). Battery has been switched out with a
known working one, and it has been recharged with a trickle charger. Cannot
detect any shorts or ground outs except for the huge draw from the starter when
trying to start the motor.

I removed the coils (4.7L) and pulled the plugs and now it will spin freely!
It doesn't make any loud (bad) mechanical noises while turning over. I now
believe that it's something valvetrain-related. I'm going to pull the valve
covers tonight and see if everything is turning over like it should. I believe
the 4.7L has 3 timing chains, the main one from the crank to the gear where the
cam used to be in the older blocks, and two coming off that gear to the
camshafts themselves (at least that's what I gather from the FSM).

Thanks again for your ideas and support!

Steve
00 CC Sport+ 4.7L Auto 3.55 LSD