Re: Thanks again (got new tires!) and question about jack

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 10:55:17 EDT

Traci Pearson wrote:

> Hi all!
> Thanks again for all the ideas about new tires for my truck. I just got
> them on yesterday (31x10.50x15 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's) and already
> I love them! I cannot chirp the rear tires off the line on dry, clean
> pavement anymore, so obviously I'm applying more HP to the road. They
> corner better, they're quieter...and they look pretty mean too (for an
> AT tire).
>
> Now I've got to do something about a jack. Haven't had to bother yet,
> but someday I'm going to want to. That puny little scissor jack that
> come with the truck gives me no confidence and probably won't even lift
> the truck (with the 31" tires) enough for me to rotate the tires myself.
> I'm not very big, so avoiding a 100# jack would be nice. It would also
> be nice to have something I can put in the truck and not take up too
> much room, and a 100# floor jack doesn't really fit that bill. But, if
> that's all that's going to work, that's what I'll do.
>
> And, of course, it would be nice to have a jack that went under a race
> car, but I'm sure the cost of a floor jack that could handle both a race
> car and my truck is prohibitive.
>
> Any ideas? I haven't yet tried that scissor jack; will it actually do
> the job? Any other ideas?

I used the scissor jack for a couple years. It wouldn't come w/ the
truck if it didn't have the reach. It's tedious lifting the truck 3-4
times in a row to do a rotation. Make sure you put jackstands under the
truck once you get it in the air - it's not meant to be a 100% "stable"
jack.

I picked up a 3-ton floorjack at Sears a few years ago. It's by no
means light - 50 pounds or so I'd guess. But you can park it under the
pumpkin and get the whole rear of the truck lifted in one shot (again,
use floorjacks). I usually do my rotations by putting the rear axle up
on jackstands, pulling the rears, then lifting each front in one at a
time to put the rear from that side up front, then move that front to
the opposite rear. A lot faster & easier than using the spare as a
placeholder.

The real trouble in finding a jack is lift height. Most floorjacks top
out just barely high enough to hit your framerails. You're stuck
getting a big, heavy model - nothing wrong with getting one with excess
capacity, but if you have to lug it around, that's another story. Even
the Craftsman "SUV" jack wasn't tall enough, IIRC.

Keep an eye on your Sunday paper, Sears has a sale on the 3-ton jack
plus 2 jackstands as a combo deal a few times a year.