Brakes, Gen IV

From: bahearn (bahearn@mail.ev1.net)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 12:30:36 EDT

I installed new front brakes at 24k miles. The rotors were
getting rather warped and the pads had always felt more like
wooden blocks than high-friction material. New rotors from Pep
Boys at a nice price and EBC Green Stuff pads.

The front pads were not even half-worn but they were not at all
confidence inspiring. The brakes had always felt weird in that
change in pedal pressure didn't cause corresponding change in
deceleration rate. The new brakes feel much better and linear. I
haven't had a chance to bed them in properly but they're better
than what Dodge sold me.

As an aside, I couldn't find pre-made braided stainless steel
brake lines. Russell has nothing for the Dak while Goodridge has
a part number but no actual product. I talked to the folks at
Orme Bros. in California, they supposedly are the primary US
distributor for Goodridge and often produce the domestic kits.
They found indeed that Goodridge had a part number but there were
no specifications for the kit, therefore no lines available. I'm
either stuck cobbling together stock lengths of line from Russell
or sending Orme a complete (new) brake line system from a Dakota
so they can determine the specs and produce a kit.

Bruce in Houston
'02 Dodge Dakota QC tow-beast
'98 Suzuki Bandit 1200S w/ $tuff
'94 Nissan Sentra SE-R w/ $tuff, converting to ITA--even MORE
$tuff!

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net