Re: Re: Re: Home from the BBQ at last

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 12:08:25 EDT

Update on the front end of my '88.

Well, After Mike and I eyeballed the toe; I loaded the Dak directly onto the
trailer with no test drive. We didn't even tighten the tie rod clamps.
Yesterday, I strapped a couple of straight edges (8’ of 1½” aluminum square
tube) to the front wheels and set a tape measure on them to see how far we were
off. The wheels are toed in very slightly, ¼” over 8’. So I tightened down
the clamps and took it for a test drive. Truck goes straighter now than before
I took it to the BBQ. :b A very slight drift to the right when running down the
road. The steering wheel is off by about a fifth of a turn though, but I’m
going to live with it for now. I don’t drive the truck enough to warrant fixing
it at this point.

I also noticed the right CV axle seems to be angled oddly. Looks like I
shifted the right front wheel back about an inch or two. Not exactly sure
what’s bent yet, but there is definitely some minor damage under there. All I
can see at this point is the front lift bracket for the lower control arm bent
back and possibly out some, but it doesn’t look like anything else is damaged
beside the optional Trailmaster skid plate. The rear lift bracket for the lower
control arm has no visible damage. The driver’s side front bracket also has
some minor damage but not as severe as the passenger’s side. All in all, the
truck held together fairly well.

I’ve started compiling my list of needed parts for a Straight Axle conversion.
I don’t want to put any more cash into the IFS.

Walt
http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com