Pushrods for high lift cams or 1.7 rockers

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 17:33:33 EDT

I am need of some input from those DML members who are
knowledgeable in this area.

I've been searching our archives, other forum archives and
on Google the past few days.

I discovered last Friday that I am in need of replacing my pushrods.
I am running a high lift cam (0.520/0.544 @ 1.6:1 ratio) with
the pushrods and roller rockers which are in the MP mechanical
roller rocker arms kit P5249800 (made by Crane Cams).

The stock pushrods for our magnum engines are 5/16" by
somewhere between 6.915 to 6.935 inches. The pushrods
with the MP kit are 3/8" by about 6.812". As you can see,
valvetrain geometry could probably become a serious issue
at high rpms (above 5500).

I've also found that MP has a 1.7 roller rocker kit but I have not
been able to find out who makes them nor if they include
longer pushrods than those in their 1.6 kit. Has anyone
information about the pushrods in this 1.7 kit?

I've got a two week break before my bracket, point races start
up again so I'm tight for time to find suitable pushrods while
still using the MP 1.6 roller rockers, get them up here to Ont.,
and do the install.

I just found that Crane sells a set of 16 heat treated, 4130 chromemoly
pushrods that are 3/8" by 6.875". I'm leaning towards these because
of the longer lengths..Would this be a better pushrod match for my app.?

TIA. Bob