SAS update

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 06:59:30 EDT

Didn't get much else taken care of. Finished welding those braces in
the crossmember, put the right spindle on the axle. Making very little
progress in the broken tap department. Started torching out my little
skid plate, which I decided to do before the axle bracketry for layout
purposes. I also made all my misalignment bushings. They didn't turn
out as well as I'd hoped, but they'll definitely work. Nice and hard,
too, since they're made from a hardened bushing race from Tractor
Supply.

I expect to have the front axle under the truck by the end of the
weekend. I doubt it will hold anything up yet, but I think I'll have
the links and brackets all done, and maybe a steering mockup (need to
get a pitman arm to finalize steering - Dak stocker has basically a
ball joint in it instead of a taper to accept a TRE that I'll need).

I should also hear from the guy with my tires today about getting them
up here from GA. Having tires would be a Good Thing.

I've also got names/numbers of a few local places who do shaft work,
some apparently very quickly, so I should be able to have a rear shaft
soon after I could use one.

I think this is an exhaustive list of what I've got left to do, which
I'm pretty excited about:
[list]
left side caliper bolt hole tap issue (making little progress...)
assemble front axle (left spindle, hubs & brakes)
panhard bar bracket (needs to be drilled out to 1/2" and welded up)
axle-side brackets (need to be fabbed)
axle coil buckets (need 4" OD pipe/tube to center coil; fab)
reinforce holes in crossmember (second thickness around 3/4" link mount
holes)
links (need fabbing)
bump stops (design & fab)
truck coil buckets (design/ mod & fab)
clean rear frame of old spring hangars
spring hangars, shackles, bushings (get bushings, fab rest)
u-bolts, spring pads for rear (just $$...)
drive shafts (just $$...)
steering (need pitman arm, TREs)
brake lines (need a 16" hard line for on the 10.25", need flex lines to
front calipers, need to adapt Ford fitting to Dodge fitting for rear
flex line)
vent fitting for front diff
tires (in progress - GA dude, 35" BFG ATs)
shocks (just $$...)
skid plate (in progress - 80% chopped out, needs cleanup & mounting
stuff)
swaybar (hopefully stealing it from my RC, will fab disconnect system)
reassemble exhaust (bought clamps today - had to cut off 2 of 3)
[/list]

sorry, too lazy for pics today

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife