re: trans or differential whine ? resolved

From: victor.williams@byers.com
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 11:31:54 EDT

Problem resolved..
Thanks for all the suggestions..
The race for the pinion bearing had developed a rough spot and was causing
the whine..
The bearings were fine. The shop that did the fix had not seen the exact
same situation..I've never let the differential run low on dope and the
problem just suddenly appeared.
To make matters worse, the retaining plate that holds the clutch pack in
was cracked so I now have a new
Auburn chunk which I hope will last another 282,000 miles.

Auburn Gear P/N 542072 appears to be the correct part.. some grinding was
necessary on the 8 1/4" axle housing for it to fit and that is described in
the installation guide.
All is well now.

Victor Williams
Marietta Ga
1995 CC Sport 2wd,5.9l,5sp,3.55LSD,MP sp intake,Flowkooler,
Jardine catback,Flowmaster 70,CarSound Cat,Tow pkg,207rwhp,285rwtq - 282680
miles on truck..