ABS / Brake Problems

From: First Name (ezlife45@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 08:36:41 EDT

Hello fellow DML'ers,

I have a problem with my brakes that I'm hoping I can fix without bringing
it to the dealer.
I have a '98 V-6 Dakota with a 5 spd manual and rear drum brakes (Rear ABS
only).

Yesterday when driving home, something strange happened. All of a sudden,
the ABS light came on and the Brake light came on. I double checked the
parking brake and it was not engaged. When I got home, I checked the usual
suspects - fluid, wheels etc and didn't notice any problems.

At the same time I noticed that something wacky is going on with my speedo.
It reads normally if I'm going above 25 MPH, but when dropping just below
that, it drops to zero. It also won't start reading until after getting
past 25.

I'm guessing that something happened to my ABS sensor not sensing the
pulses, and that it's also impacting the speedometer. Has anyone ever
experienced anything similar?

I tried the local parts store, and they told me that I have to go to the
dealer for that. Can someone tell me where this sensor is located? I'm
fairly sure it's not on the brake drums since it's got only the cable,
hoses, and springs like any other drum brake setup. I'm thinking its got to
be in the tranny somewhere.

Any help is appreciated.