Lackluster performance (Was: Can't Rev past 3400)

From: Matt Brenneke (brenneke@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 22:50:16 EDT

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:09:11 -0400, David Henry <dml@henryweb.net> wrote:

> It runs!! After nearly a month and two attempts at a timing chain
> replacement it runs again:)
>
> Stuff changed before the timing chain Plugs, Cap, Rotor, PCV, Breather.
> Repaced OEM chain with a double roller and tensioner, put on a new water
> pump, found and fixed a tiny leak in the EGR tube to exhaust manifold. Now
> runs really nice and quiet, and has decent power up until 3000 or so RPM. I
> had the pedal to the floor in 2nd gear and it seemed to totally lack enough
> umph to rev past 3400.
> Batteries were disconnected when I was working, so the PCM's been reset
> since the timing chain went in.
>
> Other than the lack of power in where the power band should be, and what
> looks like a radiator leak somewhere it's running.
> Any ideas?
>
> David 94 CC Sport 4x4, 318, 5spd, Lifted with 33" BFG MT's

This OT mini-review brought to you by the number 13 and the letter P.

David talking about not being able to get past 3400rpms reminded me of
something I've been wanting to comment on for a while now. When I
first bought my new Dakota (see sig) I was underwhelmed (to say the
least) in it's acceleration and overall feeling of power, or lack
there of. I had been driving a '93 Dodge Shadow with a 3.0L
mitshubishi V6 and 5-speed manual for the last 6 years, and I guess I
had just grown accustomed to it's driving style. When I pressed the
gas pedal in that thing, no matter what gear I was in or where the
rpms were, it responded accordingly. Even at 197,000 miles just before
I sold it. Of course, it was all spent by 3200rpms or so.

When I press the gas in my truck, the new 3.7L V6 magnum just sits
there putting along unless I'm at or above 3000rpm. I find myself
frequently running up to 4500rpm or higher just so I don't get run off
the road on interstate onramps. Now that I have 7000 miles on the
truck in the last 3 months it's gotten a little better, but I can't
tell if it's the truck improving or me getting used to there being
nothing there.

For those of you looking for a new Dak, I'd suggest getting the V8
unless you like to a) not go anywhere or b) run your engine at high
rpms constantly and therefore burn it out well before it's time. I
know I'll be trading this thing for a v8 when it's worth more than I
owe.

-Matt Brenneke
'04 CC SXT 3.7L V6 5spd
http://web.umr.edu/~mbrennek/Truck/