Re: Dakota SXT (tonneau cover)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 17:55:24 EDT

andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote:
: On 8/29/2004 4:03 PM, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
: | andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote:
: | : We bought from BMECovers.com IIRC.
: |
: | Thats the one! Thanks, I figured you'd remember. :-)
: | Unfortunately, their web site is a whole lot of useless... I have
: | tried several browsers, but all I get is a page of black. :-P
: | Probably trying to do some sort of fancy scripting or active
: | somethingorother instead of just writing a simple page that
: | anyone can use. Lynx can "sort of" work with it, but all the links
: | are "hidden", and lynx stops working once you hit the ssl part.
: | Anybody out there able to use that site, or is it just me? :-)
: | Both IE and Netscape just give a big black square. :-P

: Haven't tried lately. Just checked, the site's crap here. I think this
: explains why: <meta name="generator" content="Homestead SiteBuilder LPX">

   Heh! Could be. :-) I have been recently looking for a tonneau for
the '01 Ram, just sort've seeing what else is out there besides the
Downey. (I am very happy with my Downey but am always on the lookout
for something better at a good price.) :-)

   I did a "view source" on the page to get the phone number for BME
to call directly to check stock, etc. but when I called it, I got a
recording saying it has been disconnected, or no longer in service,
something like that. I actually was able to hack up the web site
code enough to decipher the proper link to place an order, but
between a non-functional web site and the disconnected phone number,
I decided it would be better to try elsewhere.

   I did a lot of searching, and its amazing how "all over the board"
the prices are on these covers! I found variations of almost $200 on
an identical cover! BME had a sweet price of $315 shipped (well, sweet
in comparison to everyone else), but I discovered that Summit Racing
(of all places) sells the Downey, and it is in the $290 range! Of
course, you need to add their handling fee, and possibly an oversized
fee, but it ends up being just around $300, shipped. I also discovered
that overtons.com carries them in the $270 range. The shipping is
about $18 though, so that brings it back up to about $300. So anyway,
just in case anyone else is in the market, there's an additional $15
savings by buying from SummitRacing.com or Overtons.com.

: | : I've been envying my brother's lifting soft tonneau lately. It hinges
: | : at the front of the bed and comes off in about 15 seconds, without
: | : having to unsnap the fabric - you lift it off all as one piece (frame &
: | : fabric) after popping the struts off the mounts on the bed.
: |
: |
: | Sounds interesting! I assume the fabric can be unsnapped as well?
: | Do you know the brand?

: Not offhand but if I remember to ask him I'll get it. The fabric can be
: unsnapped, but the snap system isn't as sophisticated as on our Downeys.

   Yep, I do like the snaps on the Downey, as opposed to traditional
snaps which have to be lined up exactly. I've seen several other
manufacturers with literature touting the fact that their cover
opens fully, without the "dead space" at the front of a Downey.
That "drawback" on the Downey actually worked in my favor for the
convertible (allowing the cover to be opened when the top is down),
and as far as the Ram goes, its an 8' bed so its not like I'm losing
a lot, plus the bedliner in the Ram goes over the rail on the front,
so I can't really use a tonneau that clamps to the front rail without
modifying the bedliner, and given my experience with the Downey, I
knew the way it attached wouldn't be a problem there. (Unfortunately
the bedliner has worn down to the metal in a couple of places, so it
is there to stay.)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'