Re: e-brake and abs question

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 00:21:52 EDT

On Sep 6, 2004, at 11:55, Montie Roland wrote:

> - e-brake light stays on continually

that MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) will light for other brake
issues, not just for ebrake application as far as I know

> - abs light stays on
> - I don't think the rear ABS is working (after a panic stop the other
> day)
> - my speedo doesn't work below 15-20 mph

sounds like a rear wheel speed sensor to me.

> Actions:
>
> - I crawled underneath the truck and identified what I think is the
> ABS /
> e-brake sensor sitting beside the rear brake proportioning valve on
> top of
> the rear diff pumpkin.

that is the rear wheel speed sensor (RWSS) under that cage. the ebrake
switch is at the pedal in the cab. and that isn't a proportioning
valve, it's a distribution block. all just FYI.

> Questions:
>
> 1) is that the abs/ebrake sensor (sitting on top of the pumpkin)?

see above

> 2) how do I get the sensor out to replace it? I unscrewed a 1/2 inch
> bolt
> (sitting on top of the bracket that covers the sensor) but that didn't
> release the bracket.

actually, yeah it did. it's a tight fit with the O ring in there once
it's rusted for a while. with enough wiggling persuasion you can get
it out. I think I broke mine both loose by tapping a straight slot
screwdriver between the plastic and the diff housing (probably a bad
idea, but it worked)

> 3) it looks like the sensor I'm looking at screws down into the diff
> pumpkin. Is that what is actually occurring?

doesn't screw, just slip fits with an O ring.

have a look at a Dakota's RWSS versus an F250's:
<http://mike.tepidcola.com/data/tmp/rwss.jpg>
They both slip-fit into the same bore. Just a good reference so you
know what it is that you're looking at pulling out.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife