Re: axle flange gasket?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 00:20:12 EDT

werlax@hotmail.com wrote:
> I was told by an oil change tech today that my axle flange seal is leaking.
> I should have asked for clarification at the time but I thought it'd be
> obvious once I took a look... I can't tell where this leak is that he's
> talking about. It's on the passenger side is about all I know. Could he be
> talking about the CV joint? Maybe a bad driveaxle boot? I'm sorry if this
> is painfully obvious.
> Thanks for any help,
> Mark

I would interpret that to mean the seal in the differential itself is
leaking. The axle flange is what your CV shaft bolts up to on the
differential. The diff is the same as any other diff, 'cept that its
really narrow - and uses CV shafts - not a solid axle and a tube. Still
has a seal in there that can fail. Good luck trying to find them though
- I know we don't carry them at AutoZone - I had a customer trying to
find one for his 1989 4x4 - and I had no listing in my computer and the
timken paper catalogue was of no use.

can't speak as to the avaliblity of other parts store as I have not
checked them - I would hope that it's not a dealer only part.