Re: OT: Possible infected listers

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 11:44:08 EDT

Wayne Allewelt wrote:
> It seems that yesterday I received emails from two people on the DML
> that use AOL, and my antivirus software said that the attachments were
> infected.
>
> Tim Althoff and Nixon Santiago, you guys might want to check your
> computers. It might be that someone has jacked your email accounts, who
> knows. I just wanted to let you guys know.

Almost all of the common viruses that distribute themselves via e-mail
forge the return address with one they randomly choose from the infected
system's address book. As a result, it's possible that anyone on the
list has the virus and their computer just happened to choose those
addresses to forge.

-Bill