Re: Newbie question?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 19:12:04 EDT

"Bill S." <kb7vkl@yahoo.com> wrote:

: Just bought a nice low mileage '94 Dakota and I have some questions,
: starting with this one:
: I notice the air duct that goes from the air cleaner snorkel to the
: area behind the grill is blocked at the front by a plate of some sort.
: Will removing that plate let the engine breathe better or not?
: Thanks.

   Yep, removing that plate will help the air to flow a bit
better with no adverse effects unless you are in the habit
of offroading through a lot of water. (And if you are, it
would probably be a good idea to not use the stock duct anyway,
even with the plate in place.)

   One tip that I would recommend even if you leave the
plate in place would be to disconnect the stock duct from
behind the grill (it just snaps in and out of place), cut
a square a section of screen material just larger than the
end of the duct, put it in place and then snap the duct
back into position. This will prevent mice from using your
air cleaner as their personal grain silo and/or condo. ;-)
This is probably more important for vehicles which might
sit a few days between driving sessions, but I have come
across many vehicls with nests in the air hat. Granted,
they still need to get through the filter in order to
introduce foreign materials into the engine, but depending
on the type of filter, it may be possible for them to chew
through, and even if not, all that junk blocking the filter
isn't great for performance either. :-)

  Congrats on your "new" Dakota! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'