Re: Yet another better breathing question?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 22:52:53 EDT

Bill S. wrote:
> In one of my earlier questions ya'll covered the K&N, snorkel and
> blocking flap questions.
> How about the exhaust? What's the hot set-up for exhausting a
> '94 Dak? Are cat back systems just noise with no go? Is there a web
> page that covers exhaust systems for our trucks? A FAQ?
> Thanks.

Hack the muffler off - straight pipe from the cat back.

To answer your question - a free flowing exhaust will usually show
horsepower gains in upper engine RPMs - while slight loss of bottom end
torque is possible. Free flowing exhaust will see most gains when
combined with other performance modifications, such as intake, ported
TB, cold air induction. It is a must when adding such mods as
super/turbo charging, etc.

With a V6, the risk is that you can get a "ricer" sound from the
exhaust, if you go with too large a diameter pipe and a muffler that
isn't tuned properly. (ie you would not want to put a race series
muffler on) The "louder" the muffler - the more you risk a crummy
exhaust note. With that said - Christine, has a pretty good exhaust
note with nothing accept a cat. lol

On a side note heh - I was told today that I have "one hell of a lead
foot" and that I would sooner or later encounter the law if my driving
habits persist. This was communicated to me by the owner of the used
car dealership next door to where I work, after I demonstrated an
"excessive display of horsepower" with the Ram, while exiting the
parking lot at work on lunch break.