Re: Semi-OT: stumbling problems with 440 Power Wagon

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 15:27:19 EDT

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
[...]
: Any ideas of things to check? Any way he can be sure exactly what the
: problem is before throwing parts at it?

: I'll forward any responses to him. If you need more information, I can
: forward that request as well.

  I'm not going to be much help here, but what comes to mind is
its probably either a fuel or spark delivery problem. The carb
is one possibility. It might not hurt to pull the plugs and
make sure they are not fouled and that they are gapped correctly.
If they are really old it might even be worthwhile throwing a
set of new plugs (and possibly wires) at it. In a mid-70s truck,
I *think* it should have the electronic ignition as opposed to
points, in which case that is probably not the problem, although
somewhere during that era some Mopars came with the "lean burn"
ignition system, about which most people don't have very nice
things to say; that might be something to check.

  Like I said, not a big help. :-) You may want to join the
Mopar Mailing List though and post this question there. This
sort of thing is right up their alley, and I have found that
list to be tremendously helpful with sorting out these kinds
of problems.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'