RE: Semi-OT: stumbling problems with 440 Power Wagon

From: Travis Bailey (dusterrt@msn.com)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 16:48:23 EDT

Yeah sounds like a gummed up carb. The plastic carb he's talking about is
the Carter ThermoQuad. Very good carburetor actually! They flow a lot of
air; they are kind of like q-jets with small primary butterflies and monster
secondaries. If you can keep your foot out of the secondaries you will get
reasonable milage (probably not the main goal of a 440 work truck though).
It's main body is a phenolic plastic which keeps the gas inside cooler than
if it had a conventional metal body. They tend to warp, which is the sole
reason why it might not be rebuildable. But if it's not leaking now, it
might not be warped. You can get rebuild kits for them from parts stores;
you can get replacement carbs (I think the replacements are actually
Quadrajets); there are also places that specialize in them. Well there was.
  Just looked for the link and that certain site no longer exists, lol. A
web search for Carter Thermoquad should find you something useful..hope this
helps!

Travis
'92 Dak 5.2 4x4