Re: Towing harness question

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 01:02:10 EDT

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:50:53 -0400, andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote:

> On 10/10/2004 2:21 PM, junkmail@pontiacpower.net wrote:
> | I recently bought a small 8x10 trailer and went to hook it up to my '01 R/T and
> | found that the wiring doesn't seem to be right. I have checked out the wiring
> | and it is correct both on the truck and trailer.

Well if it's correct on truck and trailer it would work right..... so it's got to be screwed up on one end or the other.

> > I think that I need a heavy-duty flasher relay for it.

I would be surprised if a heavy duty flasher or better ground would take care of your problems. heavy duty flashers take care of fast flashing with non-spec loads, and a bad ground would result in flickering lights. both lights flashing would probably be a yellow/brown cross somewhere, but if that only happens with your lights on then I have no idea. As for how the backup lights could even possibly think about getting involved????

Who wired your trailer harness, and how?

> IIRC, R/Ts can only handle a
> couple hundred pounds (the weight of the empty trailer) due tot he
> suspension mods.

2k IIRC as opposed to 6400 for most others.

> Or did they fix that in later years?

there was something funkey with their tow ratings in the early years, but I don't remember exactly what. R/T guys?

--
Mike Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT CC, 318/46RE/231, D44/Sterling 10.25, 4.10s, 35s on Humvee rims