Re: Highway stalling... OMGWTFBBQ

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 08:54:22 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> I wouldn't even consider the VSS. That would screw up your speedo and
> shift points, not give you a brake light and kill the truck.

That was my thought, but the unexplained movement of the speedo from
actual speed to zero and back put this idea in my head.

> My money is on a PCM problem. Make sure all connections to the computer
> are solid. I'd go for another long drive with an extra PCM if you can
> get your paws on one. If the problem is happening, swap and see if it's
> cured.

I'm going to try and remove the superchips program from it and reload
the stock one just to see what happens. Maybe it got some bad data when
they drove it with their scanner on it last week. Oddly enough, this
problem didn't start until I made it over some wicked bumps, so I'd bet
on a loose connection or something. I'll be going over everything after
work today to see what comes up.

> Focusing on the stalling problem, I'd also check all fuel delivery
> systems (fuel filter, pump especially), as well as spark delivery
> (cap/rotor/coil/wires?)

I was probably going to do a tuneup too, it's about time for it anyway.

> Any codes? Check with your SuperChips in case there's something stored
> that isn't illuminating your MIL.

I was planning on doing this today, I'll let you guys know what I find.

> How about your battery connection? Or do you know you still had juice
> (lights/ tunes/ etc)?

I suspected the battery at first, but the connections seem tight, and
the lights/tunes never stopped during any of these events. The
terminals also don't look as though they have any corrosion whatsoever
on them.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L