Re: Highway stalling... OMGWTFBBQ

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 11:53:05 EDT

"Jeff Durling" <jdurling@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Yeah, the PCM is picky. I noticed on mine when it did it it only took a
> drop to 11.6 volts for it to start acting loopy. 11.4 volts will make
> it nearly impossible to run. I could bump my battery (actually both
> times) and somehow the truck would run fine again for a while. I know.
> strange.

That's weird. I figured that when my battery went bad, I just wouldn't be
able to start the truck. Stuff like this is just plain scary. You'd think
that maybe they'd design something in that would help prevent this. If I
wasn't paying attention, i could have certainly gotten into an accident,
especially when it died while I was trying to make a turn. That was scary
and I was lucky nobody else was on the road with me. Maybe I'll just stop
on my way home and pick up another battery regardless of how it tests, the
one I have is 5 years old now.

> On mine it took about ten minutes to cool down before it would start.
> At first it started acting like you described, where it would just
> idle, but after a wile it would just plain die (speedo too). Pull over,
> let it cool, and then it runs fine. Mine went from the first set of
> symptoms to the worst set in about 20 miles of driving. I know that
> because I was camping and it did this on the way home and took me an
> hour and a half to do a 25 minutes drive. I may be way off here
> (probably am) but it is something to check out.

I didn't have anything like that, I could literally just pop it into
neutral, hit the key and it'd fire right up every time. It was only the
first time it happened that I had trouble getting it started again.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L