Drive Shaft Balance Issues

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 23:59:44 EDT

Thought occured to me at work, when discussing U-joints and drive
shafts. I did not take careful note of how the drive shafts were
reinstalled in Christine. I neglected to mark them properly when I took
them out - inorder to reinstall them the way they were. How serious is
this? Attempting to answer my own question - I will say that its
serious because if the drive shaft is not in balance, it will vibrate
while spinning and cause premature U-joint failure - correct? Two
questions that follow that. I put a couple small dents in the shaft in
the process of U-joint swapping. How serious is that to the balance of
the shaft? Also - Are you supposed to "spring" the yolks, to set the
U-joints? I noticed a few of the joints moved very freely - while a
couple others felt a little stiff.

Should I have the shaft balanced? I dont remember seeing any weights on
the shaft if that matters at all.

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!