Re: 93 2x4 to 4x4

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 20:07:43 EDT

WAJK1976@aol.com wrote:
> I was planning on putting a t-case to it. Then put a straight axle in the
> front.. with leaf springs. Then mount a 4wd steering box.. and hook up steering.
> I dont really want to take the body off the frame or anything like that. I
> just want to build the truck up nicely. I figure if I was to buy a 4x4 truck a
> nice one would cost me $4000. I dont want to buy another truck. I figure if I
> spend less then $5000 on my truck I will have a nice 4x4 that is built not
> bought.
>
> Thanks everyone
> From Jessie

Honestly I would strongly advise against attempting that. If you don't
want to own two trucks - and are determined to convert your current 4x2
to a 4x4 - go the frame swap route. You will spend a fortune in
fabricating the front suspension for that truck. You will need to build
it up totally from the ground. The frames themselves are physically
differnet between 4x2 and 4x4 trucks - not just the brackets and stuff
that attatch things. The frame is widths are different, the 4x2 uses
rack and pinion steering - 4x4 uses recirculating ball. The 4x2 frames
have no provisions for mounting the 4x4 steering gears. You will have
to fabricate that. The front of the 4x2's have different crossmembers.
    You will need to cut off the center crossmember on the 4x2 frame and
fabricate a crossmember to reinforce the frame.

You will Need to change the rear leaf spring set up. 4x2 axles are
sprung above the leaf pack. 4x4s are sprung below the spring pack.

Basically you said you don't want to go to the trouble of plopping your
current truck body on another frame. I promise you - it is more work
and cost to fabricate everything you will need to convert a 4x2 to a
4x4. Granted those two things have not stopped many people from
undertaking insane projects before. I myself, am a case of that "defy
common sence and do what I want anyway" thinking. But even I'm not
insane enough to try converting a 4x2 frame set up to a 4x4.

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!