RE: Rear brake drum problem (cable guide)

From: Rick Barnes (barnesrv@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 09:49:04 EDT

They don't adjust themselves. You have to go in thru the back and move the
adjuster with a 90 degree brake tool or a screwdriver. The "expand"
direction that you turn the adjuster will move easily. If you get the
brakes too tight, the "contract" direction is much harder to turn, so just
do a couple of "clicks" at a time. I set my rear brakes to just barely
begin to drag as I turn the wheel. Often, as you are adjusting, it may be
helpful to press the brake pedal to "center" the shoes, or get them just to
drag slightly and once you use them, they will "center" themselves.

Rascal