highway stalling - fixed

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 13:16:57 EDT

Well, for those who remember the few scary days I had there on the highway
with the truck just shutting off on me, I've managed to correct the problem
and you'll never in a million years guess what it was.

To make a long story short, apparently my friends thought it would be funny
to put a piece of paper over the terminal between the coil wire and the coil
itself. Well, when they did it, they apparently pulled on it too hard or
something and it tore, allowing the electriticy to flow between the coil and
the wire. However, the paper managed to wick just enough water up in there
to cause some slight corrosion - enough to intermittantly stall the truck.
I only found this out after I had replaced the distributor cap, rotor,
battery, and reseated every electrical connection under the hood. (after
each step thinking that I'd corrected the problem) As a last ditch effort I
decided to change the ignition wires and plugs as well, perhaps there was a
defect in the wires. Well, the box came from summit and while taking the
ignition wires off of the truck I discovered a little treasure inside the
ignition coil boot - a small piece of paper. I'm suprised I didn't have an
engine fire by the way that it looked. It was all brown and kinda ashy
looking.

So, after a nice talk with the people in question, they brought over a case
of beer and we drank it. Now comes the planning of retaliation.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L