OFF-TOPIC: Nissan Altima '97 wont start -but accessories work. [HELP!]

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 16:33:18 EDT

My wife Nissan Altima '97 went dead on the highway while driving. She had to crank the
steering wheel just to get the car to pull over. It had been raining a bit that day.
But even after a few days of "drying out", the car still wont start anymore.

Here's what I can see.

  All fuses are fine. I pulled them all.
  All relays seem ok. ( I didn't notice any burnt out smell coming from them. I did
not, however, measure with meter. )

  I checked the wiring harness to steering column. Nothing.

  Accessories that _don't_ involve turning the key like dome lamp, headlights, power
locks, and 4-way flashers are WORKING!!

  Accessories that require the key in ACC position do not work. Example: radio, turn
signals, power mirrors, power windows, dash panel <--- the whole dash panel is dead.
nothing lights up at all in any of the key positions.

  Battery has good voltage. 13.7

Can anyone give me an idea of what happened? Is this the ignition switch or something
else? Is there a fusible link that burned out?

-dan

=====
Dan K.
'92 Grey Dak CC, 318, 4x2, 46RH, 3.92 rear, 235/75R15, PS, PW, PB, PL, AC.

Mods: Trans-Go, APS Precision's 2400 stall, cool air induction, K&N filter, Autolite 3924s, & re-located IAT sensor.

Future: 180* stat, MP PCM, Stage 1 T.B., HER1418AL Cam, 3" Gibson exhaust, March pullies, electric fan, and head porting.